Thursday, June 12, 2014

Midweek Randomness


Hello! I hope you’re all well and enjoying the Florida sun! I swear, the first thing I’m going to do when I get back is spend a day at the beach. Followed by dinner at Chipotle. That sounds like a dream day..Am I right?!


It’s been a pretty good week so far! I’ve been so excited planning the rest of my weekends here for the remainder of my stay. I’m looking at Galway, London, Bray, Cork, and Belfast along with some other parts of Northern Ireland. Basically, it’s going to be a whirlwind. But hey, I can sleep when I get back to the United States! Coming here has given me a travel bug that I will never recover from. And I don’t want to! I now understand why people go from country to country all the time--it’s invigorating and enriching and exciting and heart warming to see all that the world has to offer. I just wish my suitcase was big enough to fit all of my family and friends! J



Also, to add to this fun and happy week, I got some good news a few days ago! I've been selected as a scholarship recipient for the Orlando Area Chapter/FRPA Roast & Toast Scholarhship. It’s a 1,000 dollar award and I’m so honored to have been chosen! It’s such a blessing, as this trip abroad was expensive. This award couldn’t have come at a better time. :)


Anyway, just for fun, I’ve been compiling a list of some comparisons between Ireland and the US. I want to give you guys some contrast of day to day life here and there.

-A close equivalent to Raisin Bran is called Fruit and Fiber. It has banana chips in it. I’m gonna miss it so much when I come home.
-The police officers are called Gardai. I’ve yet to see a female officer! I asked Louise about it, and she said they do allow women to fill that position, but it’s unusual. Interesting, as that’s probably the evaluation I would give of America’s police system as well.
-Irish people have no idea about Greek life. Literally, the only things they have to draw from about sororities and fraternities are movies. Lots of people are fascinated that I’m in a sorority, and also lots of people make fun of it. The girls in my office were asking me lots of questions about it, such as how we get to join, how much it costs, what I like about it, and if it’s all about partying like you see on TV. I felt like I was rushing them. Lol. It was cool, though, to explain it and make them understand that it’s not all wild and crazy like it’s portrayed.
-People here call agendas or day planners their diaries. So, used in a sentence: “I have to manage my supervisor’s diary today because she’s so busy.” It always tickles me to hear it said that way because I’m accustomed to the word meaning a personal journal that no one is meant to read.
-There’s a very big emphasis on training and breaks here. In the beginning of my internship, I was astounded at how respectful and even firm the managers are about getting all of your breaks and making sure they’re on time. I’ve since come to find out that it’s unlawful to not give employees breaks. It’s taken seriously that all employees get what they’re entitled to as far as breaks and time off. I’m thinking we should adopt that in Florida. I still have nightmares about my 12 hour Chick fil A shifts with only half an hour break....
-There are no Keurigs here. In fact, it seems there isn't much brewed coffee anywhere either. It’s all instant stuff that you mix in to hot water! It’s just not the same. Thus, I’ve switched to tea and I’m officially jumping ship on being a morning coffee drinker.
-In order to get a divorce in Ireland, you have to be legally separated for seven years. Then, after that, you can file for divorce; however, it’s expensive. How crazy is that? Because of these regulations, I’ve gathered that divorce rates are lower here. Perhaps it forces people to stay together and work out their problems? Or maybe it just influences the culture as a whole to value marriage more? Definitely something to think about.

That's all for my random list of comparisons! Observing the culture here is thought provoking and I like sharing the things that specifically catch my attention.

Moving on though, yesterday afternoon Louise brought me to this cafe called Butlers. She said that their hot chocolate was to die for and not to be missed. Every hot chocolate comes with one truffle of your choosing, too! It was amazing, just as she promised. I'll definitely have to bring my other friends there ASAP.






This weekend, some of the girls and I are heading to Galway to do some tours. We are also going to be experiencing a hostel for the first time, so cross your fingers for us! We kind of lucked out though, because it's a four bed room and there are four of us. You could say we're kind of cheating the hostel culture. :) Fine by me! Expect a post Monday or Tuesday about all of our fun ventures!

Xox,

Alyssa 


P.S. Allie and Chris, if you’re reading this, I found McDaids!!! My friend and I went for a drink after work and happened to see it. You’re right, it’s awesome. I’ll be back there, to be sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment