Sunday, June 8, 2014

When Bumblebees Attack

Hey, guys! So, this week has pretty much followed the pattern of the entire trip: it's been crazy busy! I'm loving every second of it, and I have lots to share! I'll dive right in!

My office at work consists of four other woman who are all amazing. They are great professional role models for my career. One of them in particular, Louise, is pretty close to my age and got hired only three months ago! We hit it off and have been hanging out together at lunch or after work. I'm loving the fact that I have an Irish friend, and we've even talked about going to London together for a weekend! It warms my heart because I feel like I'm settling in here nicely.

One night after work, we decided to go get some dinner. Louise took me to this restaurant called Eddie Rockets. To my surprise, it was much like Johnny Rockets in the U.S. They serve all the typical stuff like burgers and fries, and it was fun getting to eat some American food. After dinner, since it was still soooo light outside, we decided to go browse around in some shops next door. There's this store called Argos that was really interesting! The premise of the store is that you walk in, and all around are catalogs which you flip through to find what you want. Next to them are pads of paper and pencils, so that once you find your item, you write down the inventory number(s). Then, you wait in line and bring your paper up to the cashier, where they make sure your items are in stock and you pay. The final step is sitting and waiting for them to get your item out of the back for you to take home! It was so unlike any store I've ever shopped in, but very cool! It reminded me of online shopping, but in person. Their inventory was impressive, too! Very much like a large department store, only the actually shopping part is small and the stock room is huge!

This past Friday, we kicked off our weekend with a pizza party! Our lovely FIE advisors organized the whole thing as a meet and greet to see how we’re settling in. It was nice to see them again, and of course the free meal was enjoyable too! We all sat around in a circle and discussed the highlights of our internships as well as what we like most about Dublin. It’s always cool hearing about the experiences that other students are having. One of the girls in our group is interning with Coast Watch Europe and gets to study marine biology on a daily basis! Sometimes, that means walking along the shore and identifying what sea life can be found there. Pretty neat stuff, and it just goes to show you that all types of jobs are available in all parts of the world.

On Saturday, Ashleigh, Meghan, and I went to Newgrange. If I’m being honest, I had absolutely no idea what it even was. I was just going along for the ride to cross another tourist destination off the list! I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it is a very ancient and historic burial site. The whole thing basically consists of gigantic grassy mounds of rock and earth. They are massive hills and they’re overlooking the countryside. Informational plaques scattered throughout the premises detailed who had lived and died there. I appreciated the information, and again was amazed by how knowledgeable the guides were.







Please tell me this reminds you of the trolls in Frozen. They're going to start rolling around and singing "Fix Up This Fixer Upper" any second now.


One super cool aspect of the trip was the people we met. In the morning as we were waiting for our bus, a couple our age approached us and asked if we were waiting for the transport to Newgrange. We replied yes, and they hung out with us as we were waiting. Through casual conversation we came to find out they were backpacking through parts of Europe. It was so fun picking their brains about places to see and they also had some very informative tips about hostels and other travelling stuff. We loved that we were able to hang out with these near strangers (And if you’re ever reading this Julia & Liam, you guys are awesome!) as if we all had been friends for ages. It’s moments like these that make you truly appreciate exploring the world. Meeting new people is what it’s all about. And taking selfies with those new people is fun too.







While on site, we were even afforded the opportunity to enter one of the tombs! It was amazing, architecturally and spiritually. It’s older than Stonehenge, an estimated 5,000 years old. Also, the way it was built keeps the water out even after all of these thousands of years. Mankind is so smart and it was an epiphany to me that people will be innovative no matter the time or culture.


The entrance way to get in the tomb was a little scary. You had to duck your head nearly the whole twenty meters in, and sometimes walk a little sideways to fit between the narrow walls. It was not a good thing for a claustrophobic person, which I sometimes am, but the experience itself was too incredible to pass up. Unfortunately, you can’t take pictures inside the tomb, but I understand why. It’s important to preserve the history and camera flashes can make the rocks deteriorate. Anyway, it was quite enjoyable to be inside (where it was considerably colder!) and admire the artwork. There were carvings everywhere, and our guide explained some interpretations of their meanings. Then, he turned all of the lights out inside (there were a few bulbs installed so that visitors could see) and showed us how brilliant the architecture truly is. Six times per year, the sun aligns itself in a perfect way so as to shine in through a special window in the rock. When this equinox happens, it illuminates the entire tomb. The guide told us that this was a cause for celebration in the old days, because it gave certain indications to the farmers. For example, when it happened in December, it meant that winter would soon be over. Neat stuff! When we were shown the demonstration it was done by flashlight, but we got the idea. It was a very enriching day, overall.


****WARNING**** If you don't want to read about me embarrassing myself, don't read the next paragraph.

Just kidding. I know y'all want a good laugh so I had to throw this in. On the bus ride back from Newgrange, we were all just relaxing and enjoying the scenery when the unthinkable happened.

(pause for dramatic effect)

There were three of us and the bus seats go in pairs, so Meghan and Ashleigh sat together and I sat across from them. I was in the window seat, to be exact. A middle aged man sat next to me, and all of us were minding our own business when a huge bee decided to fly in through the open window and ruin my life. Not really, but it was seriously one of those moments where you can't do anything but stare at the bee for the whole ride. I literally never took my eyes off of it. It hung out right on the window near the top of the bus. Lots of people were watching me freak out because I was sitting up really stiff and whimpering. I know Meghan and Ashleigh were getting a good laugh out of it! ;) In hindsight, it was pretty hilarious. I kept saying that I hate bees and I was really uncomfortable. Anyway, the bee ended up coming towards me, and naturally I screamed. Also, I was so far hunched over the poor man next to me that I was pretty much no longer in my seat at all and sharing his. Everyone was laughing while I squealed and then after a few seconds, people started cheering. I turned around to survey and realized that the guy had killed the bee! I honestly think he did it so that I would calm the heck down and give him his seat back. We all had a good chuckle together though, and I profusely apologized to him! The conversation went something like this:

Me: I am so, so sorry. I hate bees.
Man: I could tell. It's okay.
Me: I'm really sorry about your personal space. I didn't mean to smother you like that.
Man: It's okay. I get it. The fear took over.
Me: Thank you so much for understanding.
Man: Yeah, no problem. The danger's gone now, honey.
Everyone else on the bus: HAHAHAHAHAHA.

And that concludes the story of the bee on the bus. I hope you enjoyed this nail biting tale.

A terrifying creature.


****END OF STORY*****

Saturday night, I met up with some extended relatives for dinner. They live in Belfast, and just so happened to be in Dublin for a concert. It worked out beautifully! Though I had only met them once before, it was easy conversation and we talked all through dinner about my trip. Later this month, I’ll be visiting Northern Ireland (which is actually part of the U.K.) to see where they’re from! I’m so excited to explore their city, as I’ve heard Belfast is absolutely lovely. There was also talk of visiting Giant’s Causeway which people say is a must if you’re in this neck of the woods! I’m thrilled about the opportunity, and admittedly, it’s comforting to be around familiar faces. Thank you so much, Laurence and Elaine!

Today, I went horseback riding through the mountains in Saggart. I tried to go two weekends ago, but because of rain and getting lost (refer to my earlier posts), we had to reschedule. After much chaos, today finally came and it was amazing! We had an awesome instructor who was not only an amazing rider, but also very knowledgeable about the area’s history. He told us some tidbits about the land and its history as we strolled up the countryside. It was gorgeous. I was riding Comanche, while Kat had Frankie.




When I asked the instructor to take pictures for us, he said that we first had to take a selfie.



Overall, we were really pleased with the whole experience. Coolmine Equestrian was awesome. From the transportation there, the understanding and flexible staff, and the ride itself, we enjoyed every bit of it! Thanks Coolmine! Also, to make me like them even more, they suggested that Kat and I visit a little tourist shop on the edge of town. They reasoned that we were already out all the way in Saggart, so we might as well see this store while we were there. Needless to say, we’re glad we took the advice! Avoca was the most adorable, posh shop with all sorts of specialty foods, clothes, goodies and trinkets. Basically, if we’re related or if we hang out all the time, get ready for a suitcase full of gifts. ;)


Later, after returning to Smithfield, the group decided to try out a restaurant called Captain Americas. Yeah, yeah, I know. But it was sooo good. We had been recommended to the place several times and we’re happy to have listened. The menu was chocked full of crowd pleasers, and pleased we were. See for yourself!




Overall, I’m dragging my heels about this trip ending. This upcoming week marks the halfway point, and I’m pouting just thinking about it. This world has so much to see and do. I’m realizing each day how important it is to understand just how many cultures there are! Traveling is vital and this summer marks only the beginning of my world ventures. I promise!



Xox,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment