Friday, May 16, 2014

Cobblestone

Hello, my fellow Americans! Today was day number two in Dublin and it was so incredibly fun. Just being in the city and feeling like you are a part of everything is exciting. I can see how this experience will be a life changing one. Getting to view firsthand how big the world is and how different people live really opens your eyes.

Okay, I promise I’ll stop with the sappy stuff. I’ve only been here 48 hours and I’m acting like a philosopher! ;) Anyway, today’s main goal was to be transported to our internship sites so that we know where they are located. We took the Luas, which is a tram through the city center. It’s about a ten minute walk to the Luas (pronounced like the boy’s name Louis), followed by a 20 minute ride on the tram, and then another 10 minute walk to the hotel. I’ll be on a marketing team there, sitting in on sales pitches, helping out with social media, making goodie bags and gifts for guests, etc. I’m excited. This will be a great resume booster!



Afterward, we went to lunch at this cute underground cafĂ©! Since it was in the basement, we never would have known about it. Luckily, our program coordinator and tour guide for the day showed us! She’s our age, has a British/Irish accent, and is a really cool girl. I’m happy to have someone that I can relate to, as it makes my transition here much easier! After we purchased our food, she took us to a little nearby park so that we could sit down on the grass and eat. It was the cutest place! The park was pretty populated, and everyone was just sitting or lying down lounging. Here are some pictures so you can get an idea:







My delicious chicken Caesar salad sandwich!





Can you believe we stayed there for two hours? I can’t tell you how nice it was having no worries, soaking up the sun and being carefree. The world was at our fingertips! Also, I got sunburnt. Check it out!



Oh, and a ladybug landed right on my friend Megan’s hand. That has to be a sign.



By the way, WE SAW A UCF SIGN WHILE WALKING DOWN THE STREET! The knights are on the map, people! We're famous! ;)



We still needed a few things for the apartment though, so we headed to a local store called Dunnes. They sell home supplies and I really wish we had one in the states! Seeing all the adorable colors/patterns made me want to decorate our whole apartment, and I had to remind myself that this is only a two month stay. Sigh. I shunned my inner Martha Stewart. For now. I’LL BE BACK FOR YOU SOME DAY, DUNNES!

Also, I picked up a Trinity College sweatshirt because I’m a tourist. And because I’m freezing at night. Summer in Dublin is very different from summer in Orlando. Like, a 40 degree at best difference.

To my dismay, I found out that you have to pay for some things here that you don’t in America. Example 1: Grocery bags. I mean, I get it. It’s environmentally friendly to use less bags. In the U.S. we throw every plastic bag we get away right after we arrive home and unpack our groceries. It’s smart that they encourage shoppers to bring recyclable bags, but it’s not the most convenient thing in the world. I had to buy two bags from them for 22 Euro cents each, and on the way home one of them ripped. It was embarrassing… but hey, at least I probably gave the locals a good laugh. The sight of my milk and produce on the concrete though was definitely enough to ensure that I will be bringing canvas bags to the store from now on. Example 2 of an unexpected cost: public restrooms. It cost 20 cents to use the bathroom in the mall! I couldn’t believe it! This is absolutely a perk that I take for granted in America. Also, I couldn’t help but think about what I would have done if I didn’t have any change. Yikes!

These are the first groceries I have purchased in Dublin! This cost 30 euros.



Lastly, a few of us went out to a pub around the corner from our apartment. We had heard raving reviews about the food, and of course the beer. When we got in, though, we were turned away because it was full. As we were outside discussing our options, an old man who happened to be walking by shouted out “Go to Cobblestone!” He walked with a limp and had a strong accent. We liked him because it was funny that he didn’t even look back at us while he said it. So, on a whim, we took his advice. One of the group members plugged in the name to his GPS and off we went. Funny enough, the old man who had given us the advice was headed there as well! We followed behind him the whole ten minute journey. When we arrived, he saw us and said, “You came!” I responded, “Well, we knew you wouldn’t lead us wrong!” With a smile, he said, “Never.”

While we were there, we met a table of locals. They struck up a conversation by asking if we were Americans. They heard us talking and recognized the accent. They asked us how we came to know about Cobblestone because apparently it's an actual Irish pub, and most students go to the novelty tourist bars that aren't even genuinely Irish. They were pleasantly surprised that we wanted the real thing. We talked for at least an hour telling our stories and conversing about politics. It was so cool because he honestly wanted to know what America was like. He was interested in our beliefs and what we thought of the government. We also got to hear his take on Ireland’s government and the whole situation with Britain. Fun stuff! It was by far my most favorite moment here thus far.




To finish up, I’ve been keeping a running list of funny sayings and things I’ve heard. Here they go:

-“Perf.” Everyone says it. It makes me laugh because it’s kind of sorority speak in America, only they don’t have sororities here. They’re being completely serious when they respond with, “Perf” and it is adorable.
-“It’ll be grand.” Irish people say this pretty often, kind of like we say, “No worries” or “It’s all good!” Also, they pronounce it in one swift word like “it-ull” we a slight emphasis on the T.
-“Touch wood.” Instead of the popular superstitious phrase “Knock on wood,” they say “Touch wood.” Also regarding superstitions, a girl in my group commented that it was a gorgeous day and she was enjoying the sunshine. Our guide responded, “You’re gonna turn fate if you say things like that.”
-Whenever we say “sir” or “ma’am,” they LOVE it! We were told that it’s hardly ever said around here and that they think it’s cute! It is widely known as an American way to address people, but they understand we are trying to be respectful and they really appreciate it!

One final word: they don’t have mustard here! Like, plain, yellow mustard… was. no. where. I searched all over the grocery store! Oh, and also, Pandora radio doesn’t work here. It turns out that it’s only made for America, Canada, and Australia! So, the next time you turn on that awesome free radio, be grateful! I really miss it, but luckily I’m not in my room too much for it to make a difference! J

Goodnight all! Or should I say enjoy your dinner? It’s midnight here but I know that it’s only 7 for you guys back home. As always, thanks for reading! And thanks to everyone for your continued support! I’m really so grateful for the amazing people I have back home.




Xox


Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment