Thursday, May 29, 2014

Thin Skin Floridian

Hey, y’all! I’m wiping the dust off this thing now—sorry about that! I’ve been really sick for the last four days and it’s wearing me down. There’s so much to see and so little time. I don’t want to waste any precious moments letting a cold get me down! So anyway, forgive me for not posting. I’ll start with last weekend!

On Saturday, the whole gang went to Howth for a day trip. Having done no research, I honestly had no idea what we were getting into. This was one of the planned excursions from our program, so I kind of just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It was actually really nice having everything all set up for us. All we had to do was jump on the Dart (the train) and go. Also, it was great timing because my Uncle Gary had just recommended Howth to me, and I’m happy to share that I LOVED it! It was a great time and I would go back in a heartbeat.

Howth is one of those places that you visit to escape consumerism. It’s a breathtaking (because of beauty AND the physical exertion) hike up the cliffs that overlook the harbor. The entire climb you are literally only a few yards from your death. I know that sounds dramatic and/or scary, but it was one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done.










It was nature in it’s true form; there were no steps built or handrails to guide you. The wind screamed in your ears as you journeyed upward, and you had to find your own footing on the rocky path. I tried to take in every second of it. It’s moments like those that remind you of how small you really are.

One of the best parts of the entire day was that we didn’t have to spend much money. We paid less than 5 euro I think on the Dart to journey there. Then, after the hike we wandered around the farmers market in town that only operates on weekends. They had great food and some neat little original trinkets. Got you a present, Sara! (Don’t worry Kate, still looking for the perfect gift for you, too!) It was fun and delicious!






After we ate, we were free to do as we pleased. We hung out a little longer and then decided to call it a day. My thin Floridian skin is doing the best it can! As we were walking in, we saw a seal just playing around in the harbor. It was adorable! Anna, our tour guide, told us that it’s rare to see one. Though I didn’t get a picture, that memory will surely stay with me.

The next day, Sunday, my roommate Kat and I were set to go horseback riding. We had made the reservations in advance and prepaid to reserve our spots. We hopped on the Luas and journeyed about an hour away to the furthest stop the Luas makes called Suggart. We read on the website that the stable is a 20 minute walk from the tram stop, so we figured we would be able to find it fairly easily. Also, we were told that there was clear signage directing us to the place.

Sometimes plans don’t always work out how you want them to. Kat and I experienced just that! We were already short on time as we got off the Luas (probably my fault for being slow to get ready, oops) and starting to stress a little. We walked straight forward and immediately came to a fork in the road... left towards the countryside or right towards the city center. We weren’t sure. We ended up choosing right, walked about 10 or 15 minutes without seeing any buildings or signs. Finally, we came across a cute couple walking with their baby. I approached them and asked if they’d ever heard of the stable. They replied no, but if we would walk back to the Luas stop, there’s a hotel there that might know. We thanked them and turned around.

Then, I thought to call one of our other friends to ask her to look up the phone number. She gave it to me, and then I ran out of minutes on my phone. Kat tried calling, but she had no luck either. We were seriously out of options.

On our walk back, it started tsunami-ing. I’m serious. The rain came on quickly and it was unbelievable. I was only wearing a rain jacket, and henceforth vow to never leave without an umbrella again. We passed the Luas stop and walked in the other direction, hoping we would come across the stable. We didn’t have time to stop and ask the hotel! So, onward we walk, getting more soaked by the minute. Eventually, the water pooled so much in the road that we were walking beside. Just like it was out of a movie, a car drove by at a high speed and completely drenched whatever clothing we wore that was dry. I was bone chillingly cold, but honestly I had to laugh. Kat had had enough, so she proposed we just call it a day and head back to the tram. On a side note: I’m thinking this whole escapade has something to do with why I’m sick. Curse you, rain!

When I arrived back at my apartment, I immediately emailed the instructor explaining that we were lost and asking if we could reschedule. I was told that it was a 24 hour cancellation policy, so if we wanted to reschedule we would have to pay the 40 euro again. After the day we’d had, that was so disappointing! All we wanted to do was ride horses through the mountains! Is that too much to ask? Is it? Is it?

I emailed back, putting on my nicest, most pleading, touristy tone and explained the details about everything that happened. I left nothing out, and it must have worked because I got a reply shortly after saying that they would agree to let us reschedule for a 15 euro cancellation fee. I quickly agreed, wanting to pay a little more than lose everything. Suffice it to say, we WILL be horseback riding next weekend. Pictures to come, I promise!

I’m just throwing this in, but check out my view every morning as I walk to work. So incredible!




Monday is a bank holiday, meaning everything is closed and no one has to work! Because of this, we are taking advantage of the long weekend and are travelling around the south of Ireland. It should be a grand time and I’m really looking forward to seeing more of this charming country. I’ll write all about it on Monday, so keep an eye out!

Xox,

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment