Thursday, May 22, 2014

Negative Navigation

Good afternoon! (Omg, try saying my title ten times fast. Betcha can't.) As I write this, it's past 10 p.m. and it's just now getting dark. Can you believe it? There is so much daylight on this side of the world and its delightful! Here is a picture I took last night around 9:45 pm. You'd never have guessed!



I've been so busy this week! I'm getting all settled into my internship and learning the ropes. I spend the first part of the day working in the restaurant at the hotel. The second part is spent in the marketing office. Admittedly, the waitressing isn't very related to my career ventures, however, I'm so excited that I get to partake in it. This is because all of the other international students work in the restaurant full time and it's my only exposure to them! Most are from Brazil or France. I'm learning so much about their cultures just from talking to them between clearing tables. They tell me about their homes as well as the differences between Irish life and the lives they came from. Some of the students from Brazil told me that their government paid in full for them to be here just so they could have this opportunity. Wow! I can't imagine being afforded such an amazing offer, but it just goes to show how different systems work. Also, I met a girl from France who is only 16, and already knows four different languages. I'm astounded by how well she can speak English, as she even understands slang words and phrases. She's really cool and has been telling me all the tips and tricks that aren't in the handbooks. :)


As far as my work in marketing goes, it's an immeasurably beneficial experience in terms of my career. One day this week, all I did was stuff envelopes but I seriously felt so enriched because I got to listen to them speak for four hours. There are five people in the office, and when everyone is brainstorming it's very interesting! Also, I like getting to witness the way that tasks are dolled out, frustration is expressed, apologies are made, and just overall how people conduct themselves in a professional manner here. It really is all different from the United States. I would say that here, office speak is less blunt and more mindful of manners. It's very considerate, and seems very much to be a pat you on the back culture. This isn't to say that America's corporate culture is negative by any means, I just like the more laid back feel here. Things get done in an efficient way, and still everyone manages to be extra kind/polite! In general, I believe that people are mostly good, and it's refreshing to see that validated here. 



Ya know, just your run of the mill office selfie. #SelfiesOfEurope

After work last night, our FIE supervisors took us to one of their favorite restaurants called The Market Bar. We had so much food! There were nachos, an antipasto tray (sorry mom, it even rivaled yours!), some hummus, homemade bread, meatballs, chips (AKA French fries), chicken wings, calamari (which y'all know I didn't eat), goat cheese pastries, and I'm sure a dish or two more that I'm forgetting. I loved sampling all the cuisines and getting to try some new stuff. It's fun to expand my palette a little. I ventured halfway around the globe, so I figure I might as well be adventurous with my cuisine while I'm at it. But don't even think about coaxing me to eat seafood. Some things never change. :)


We even took a cute little group picture. Awwwwwwwwwww.

After dinner, some of us wanted to go get something sweet so one of the supervisors told us about a good ice cream shoppe nearby. She was joking about our questionable navigation abilities because on the way to dinner, we got lost and had to call her twice or three times just to find the place. We showed up twenty minutes late....oops. Yes, dad, I should have listened to you all those years when you said not to rely on my GPS so much ;) Anyway, she gave us fool proof directions to get to the ice cream place and said she was going to officially disown us if we got lost. So I'm here to tell you, my adoring fans who think I'm directionally challenged, WE FOUND IT IN NO TIME. I hope you're reading this, Anna! ;)

Here is proof:



Murphy's ice cream was delicious. They have crazy flavors like sea salt and toffee, and you get to choose two. I went with chocolate chip and coffee. Then, despite the freezing wind, we walked home rather than taking the Luas. We figured we had a calorie or two to burn. Also, it's kind of nice that you can get a reasonable distance here just by walking. It's a convenience that we are not afforded in Orlando!

This weekend is our first one off from the internship. Apparently it's also a three day One Direction (shuddering that I even had to capitalize that [just kidding (kinda)]) concert and the city is going to be packed with teenage girls. As fun as that sounds, I plan to be as far away as I can into the mountains of County Wicklow. For 40 euro, I'll be going on a two hour horseback riding expedition and touring some Irish countryside. Also included is a barbecue meal with wine when we return to the stable. Mmm! I'm excited. Expect a post about that, because I'm seriously psyched. Pictures to come.

Some side notes:
-I picked up on an awesome word they say: dodgy. They use it interchangeably with sketchy. And if you were wondering, I'm totally bringing that word back to the states. Used in a sentence: Harry Styles better watch his back this weekend for all the dodgy little fan girls that want his autograph.
-For any students thinking about studying abroad, take UCF's pre-departure orientation session seriously. They had us watch a video of someone getting stolen from because they kept valuables in a backpack towards the opening. The thief was caught on camera slowly, steadily unzipping the pack, seizing his moment, and then stealthily snatching out a camera with the owner none the wiser. With that in mind, I've been very careful when I wear my backpack around the city. Well, the other day, I was on the tram with my belongings. I kept looking over my shoulder every few seconds to surveillance my zipper and make sure that all was untouched...but at one point the tram lurched forward and I momentarily lost concentration. That's all it took! Next thing I knew, my backpack was fully unzipped! The worst thing is, it was so crowded that I couldn't even tell who the suspect was. Anyway, thanks to UCF preparing us, I knew not to keep anything precious within reach. I tucked everything near the bottom and only left my gym shoes and water bottle towards the top. Also, I left my purse around my shoulder so that it was within my sight the whole time. So basically, if you pickpocketers want my sweaty nike shoe, goooooo for it. Still though, it's kind of bummer to experience a sobering event like that. I'm glad it ended well with nothing taken, but the takeaway is that from now on i'll just wear my backpack in the front or not take it with me during the 5-7 o'clock period. Lesson learned!

Alright guys. That's all for now. I don't have a tv here, so I've been glued to Netflix in the evenings. I'm knee deep in Vampire Diaries (thanks for that, Melissa!!!) and I have to see what happens next! 

My backup husband if I don't meet an Irish boy.




Miss you guys and thanks for reading!

Xox

Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment