Monday, May 19, 2014

Guinness: Genuine Beer Made by Genuine People

Hello! Are you guys enjoying that sunshine? It’s a crisp 11 degrees here, which is 52 in Fahrenheit. I’m definitely getting good use out of the few jackets and sweaters that I brought. I think my amazing parents may have something in the works for me though by way of mail. ;) I’m on to you, mom and dad!

The past few days have been incredibly busy! I was telling the girls here that if we were only on a weeklong vacation, I would feel 100% satisfied with what we’ve seen and done thus far. Saturday we had a scheduled event for us that our program put together—a walking tour of Dublin. It wasn’t just any walking tour though…it was a ghost stories themed one! We strolled by many historic sites including the castle, the Catholic and Protestant churches, and the city hall. Our guide told us tales of beheadings and brutal killings that had taken place hundreds of years ago in the very spots we stood. He said that if we walk there at night, we can still hear the screams…

Whether or not we believed it is up to us, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Don’t haunt me, spirits! I BELIEVE!




 

After the tour was over, we were set free to do whatever we chose. The group decided to go get some lunch at our new favorite spot—Marks & Sparks. It’s a glorified grocery store with plenty of premade sandwiches, salads, and snacks. Imagine The Fresh Market or a store similar. We brought our lunch to a park and all of us took an hour long nap. Oh, to be carefree!






 

For dinner that night, we decided to be fancy and try out a restaurant that had been recommended to us more than once: Mulligans. It was just as delicious as everyone said! The presentation was also adorable—the menu came glued into an old antique book. A little tea candle was placed in the center of our table, along with a single flower in a vase. Very cute feel, overall! Also, I liked the place even more when, after finding out that it was reservation only, the host still let us sit down and eat with the condition that we give the table back in one hour. We were up for the challenge, and it was a delicious sixty minutes! I got pork with a potatoe, carrot, and pea mash. It sounded much more elegant on the menu though, and I’m kicking myself for not taking a picture of the page I ordered from!





 
On Sunday, we had an entire day so we figured we would take the chance to be complete tourists and hit the Guinness Factory. It was 13 euros for students, and we all thought it was worth every penny. I loved the factory, getting to experience the whole process, and also getting the opportunity to understand why this beer is so central to their economic success. It really is what Dublin is known for! Also, the beer making process is surprisingly complex. Check out the pictures for more information on that, as I’m not even sure I absorbed all the details.









Making my own pint!



The beer itself was……….interesting. Not my fave. Kinda bitter. I’ll stick with light beer and just get made fun of by the locals, I suppose.


When we got back, we decided to hit the hay early. Our internships started the next morning—this morning—and we wanted to get our rest. We all had to be on site by 9. We each have different placements according to our majors, so we parted ways and set off on our own for the first time. I was surprised by how instantly alone I felt when I left them! Walking through the city solo, I could see how culture shock might affect you. This is especially so if you went to a foreign place with no friends. Luckily, I shook off the urge to run back home and I made the 35 minute journey to my hotel! To get there, I walk about 8 minutes, board the tram for around 20, and then walk for another 5. After roughly 15 minutes on the tram though, I heard an announcement warning us to get off if our stops were further ahead. I hopped off a little confused, and asked a man next to me what I had done wrong. I showed him the map I had printed, and it clearly stated to ride the tram for two more stops! He explained that the tram I boarded went in a different direction, and told me the proper one to get on for next time. He then proceeded to walk me all the way to my internship site! Along the journey, he told me he has two daughters studying in the states. He was so kind that I marveled after he left about just how giving Irish people are. They are servants to their peers and they expect nothing in return. It’s a beautiful thing.

Anyway, I made it to the hotel very early, in the hopes that I would impress my managers there. I ended up waiting an hour and a half because of a miscommunication. It’s okay though, because they knew what time I had arrived. :)




#SelfiesOfEurope
 
During the day, I was told that I would henceforth be working half the day in the restaurant and half the day in sales. I appreciate this schedule, because at least I will have a change in atmosphere midday. I was given a handbook and a uniform, and told to get to work on a small project online. Something I quickly noticed was that keyboards in Ireland are set up a little differently than we are used to! The symbols are not in the same place. For example, the @ sign is where the “ sign is. I was laughing at myself, because I’m sure I haven’t had to hunt and peck since middle school or earlier. Just all part of the learning curve, right?

Another thing I learned (and am psyched about!) is that staff members have access to Club Vitae, which is the hotel spa. It has a fitness room, a pool, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, and a salon. I’m so excited to have this perk, as I can now go work out when I finish my shifts! They even have a locker room equipped with showers. It is a four star hotel, after all. :)

At the end of the day, I got to meet the hotel’s manager, Conor. He was, say it with me, the nicest man. Of course. He asked me why I came to Ireland, and I told him it was to further my career and also to learn a little bit about my heritage. He asked what my surname was, and I told him that my mom’s maiden name is O’Daniel. He laughed, knowing just which part of Ireland that name would have originated. He then said he would provide me with a two night stay and accommodations for dinner with his hotel chain just so I could visit the town. I was stunned, and thanked him up and down! He said, “No, thank you. Thanks for wanting to come to Ireland so much that you paid to be here.” It was such an awesome conversation, I’m still smiling about it. And of course, don’t forget to picture all of that being said in his amazing accent.

When I left the hotel, I began my commute back home, which includes a walk over the Samuel Beckett Bridge that crosses the River Liffey. As I began to cross, I saw five teenage boys in wetsuits climbing up the wall and diving into the river. It was the most bizarre thing! I couldn’t take a picture, for fear of them or their friends seeing me, but wow… I guess that’s what trouble makers around here do for fun? There were girls with speakers playing music and giggling behind them, and I just got the feeling it probably wasn’t allowed. It was definitely an interesting sight. I couldn’t help thinking the whole time how gross the river water was, though! Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Ba da ch.

Now, I am home for the night. I just cooked a little bit so that I will have ease in the morning for breakfast. I made a quiche and also hard boiled some eggs! I’m my mom’s daughter, so Celsius or not, crockpot or not, grill or not, I will still find my way around a kitchen. Although, I won’t lie, I really miss the Foreman.
 

Told ya it was Celsius!


 
 
Thanks for reading, friends. Go to the beach for me!
 
Xox
Alyssa
 

No comments:

Post a Comment